100 Greatest From The Past 25 Years...
VH1's '100 Greatest Songs From the Past
25 Years,' Hits a High Note With Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'
Hosted By The Sopranos' Drea De Matteo, VH1 Celebrates the Last 25 Years
Of Music History With a 5 Night Countdown of the 100 Greatest Songs,
Premiering Monday, June 16 - 20 At 10:00 PM (ET/PT)
NEW YORK, June 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Music can divide a nation or unite a
generation. Whether R.E.M. croons about "Losing My Religion," or Bon Jovi is
"Livin' On a Prayer," music artists are constantly doling out hits that
appeal to the public and cause them to dance, rock out, and even cry.
Whether it's rock, pop, rap, or R&B some of the greatest songs have been
produced since 1978 and have had a lasting impact.
VH1's "100 Greatest Songs from the Past 25 Years" will allow the viewers to
reminisce with the top 100 songs that have had the greatest influence and
effect on music and pop culture for the last quarter-century, premiering
Monday, June 16 - 20 @ 10 p.m. (ET/PT).
Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" takes the honor of being the number one
song on the countdown. The 1991 song not only propelled the Seattle grunge
group to reach stardom, but opened the floodgates for grunge music on the
mainstream charts. In the tradition of VH1's hit "100 Greatest" specials,
the show features archival clips, classic performances, plus exclusive
interviews from Quincy Jones, Clive Davis, Duran Duran, Lionel Richie,
Celine Dion, Kelly Rowland (Destiny's Child), Lisa Marie Presley, The
Bangles and Darryl McDaniels among many others.
Among the highlights:
Duff (Guns N' Roses) on #1 Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)
" ... I mean, that was really a breakthrough for a great scene that had been
going on for a long time up in Seattle. And, it was kind of another victory,
I think, for a misunderstood music, you know. The dam broke when 'Teen
Spirit' came out, you know."
Lisa Marie Presley on #3 Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns N' Roses)
"It's all of it. It's just a brilliant song on all fronts -- lyrics,
melodically, song-wise, everything. His voice, his moves, his image. It was
. It was all perfect. It all worked."
Darryl "DMC" McDaniels on #4 Lose Yourself (Eminem)
" ... in all walks of life, no matter where you come from, that song could
be very helpful to you, regardless of what you're doing or what you're
thinking, when you get that chance, you better capitalize on it."
Darryl "DMC" McDaniels on #6 Walk This Way (Run D.M.C.)
" ... what was good about that record, it brought three generations
together. The Aerosmith generation, the Run DMC generation and then there
was a generation waiting to come that nobody knew about yet."
Brian McKnight #9 on Every Breath You Take (Sting)
" ... the song is perfect. It's perfect in its construction. Perfect in the
way it was written. If there was a class 100 years from now about
contemporary songwriting, this song would be the thesis for someone."
Spin Magazine Editor Sia Michel on #10 Like A Virgin (Madonna)
" ... . it was definitely the song that got every single girl out on the
dance floor whenever it was played at little teen dances and things like
that. I don't think they realized, you know, exactly what it meant."
Viewers can go online to http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/the-greatest/66966/episode.jhtml
for the complete list, trivia games, artist interviews and to listen to the
songs on VH1 radio.
The complete list of VH1's "100 Greatest Songs from the Past 25 Years" is
"100 Greatest Songs from the Past 25 Years" is a VH1 production. Robert
Weiss and Bernie Kaminski are Executive Producers; Hilary Spiegelman, senior
MTV Networks owns and operates the cable television programming services
MTV: Music Television, MTV2, Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite, TV Land, VH1, CMT:
Country Music Television, and Spike TV, as well as The Digital Suite from
MTV Networks, a package of thirteen digital services, all of which are
trademarks of MTV Networks. MTV Networks also operates and offers joint
ventures, licensing agreements and syndication deals whereby its programming
can be seen worldwide.
01) Nirvana / Smells Like Teen Spirit
02) Michael Jackson / Billie Jean
03) Guns N' Roses / Sweet Child O' Mine
04) Eminem / Lose Yourself
05) U2 / One
06) Run-D.M.C. / Walk This Way
07) Prince & The Revolution / When Doves Cry
08) Whitney Houston / I Will Always Love You
09) The Police / Every Breath You Take
10) Madonna / Like A Virgin
11) Van Halen / Jump
12) Alanis Morissette / You Oughta Know
13) TLC / Waterfalls
14) Sinead O'Connor / Nothing Compares 2 U
15) Pink Floyd / Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)
16) No Doubt / Don't Speak
17) Def Leppard / Photograph
18) R.E.M. / Losing My Religion
19) Public Enemy / Fight The Power
20) AC/DC / You Shook Me All Night Long
21) U2 / With Or Without You
22) Cyndi Lauper / Time After Time
23) Prince / Little Red Corvette
24) Celine Dion / My Heart Will Go On
25) Rick James / Super Freak
26) Bon Jovi / Livin' On A Prayer
27) Grandmaster Flash / The Message
28) Britney Spears / ... Baby One More Time
29) Bruce Springsteen / Born In The U.S.A.
30) Janet Jackson / Nasty
31) Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg / Nuthin' But A "G" Thang
32) Pearl Jam / Jeremy
33) Tina Turner / What's Love Got To Do With It
34) Peter Gabriel / In Your Eyes
35) The Sugarhill Gang / Rapper's Delight
36) Joan Jett / I Love Rock 'N Roll
37) Alicia Keys / Fallin'
38) The Clash / London Calling
39) Tom Petty / Free Fallin'
40) Michael Jackson / Beat It
41) Red Hot Chili Peppers / Under The Bridge
42) Blondie / Heart Of Glass
43) The Go-Go's / Our Lips Are Sealed
44) Gloria Gaynor / I Will Survive
45) Aerosmith /I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
46) Queen and David Bowie / Under Pressure
47) Shania Twain / You're Still The One
48) Naughty By Nature / O.P.P.
49) Journey / Don't Stop Believin'
50) Lenny Kravitz / Are You Gonna Go My Way?
51) George Michael / Faith
52) The Rolling Stones / Start Me Up
53) Marvin Gaye / Sexual Healing
54) Goo Goo Dolls / Iris
55) Talking Heads / Once In A Lifetime
56) Sheryl Crow / All I Wanna Do
57) Eric Clapton / Tears In Heaven
58) The Notorious B.I.G. feat. Puff Daddy & Mase/ Mo Money Mo Problems
59) Meat Loaf / Paradise By The Dashboard Light
60) Santana feat. Rob Thomas / Smooth
61) Backstreet Boys / I Want It That Way
62) Pretenders / Brass In Pocket
63) Beck / Loser
64) The Knack / My Sharona
65) Nelly / Hot In Herre
66) Squeeze / Tempted
67) John Cougar Mellencamp / Jack And Diane
68) Chic / Good Times
69) Mary J. Blige / Real Love
70) Culture Club / Do You Really Want to Hurt Me
71) Dave Matthews Band/ Crash Into Me
72) John Lennon / (Just Like) Starting Over
73) L.L. Cool J / Mama Said Knock You Out
74) Hall & Oates / I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
75) The Ramones / I Wanna Be Sedated
76) Eurythmics / Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
77) Missy Elliott / Work It
78) Green Day / Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)
79) Destiny's Child / Say My Name
80) Duran Duran / Hungry Like The Wolf
81) OutKast / Ms. Jackson
82) Soft Cell / Tainted Love
83) Band Aid / Do They Know It's Christmas
84) Radiohead / Creep
85) Eminem / My Name Is
86) Tracy Chapman / Fast Car
87) The Who / Who Are You
88) Metallica / Enter Sandman
89) Pat Benatar / Hit Me With Your Best Shot
90) The Police / Roxanne
91) Melissa Etheridge / Come To My Window
92) Salt -N- Pepa / Push It
93) Nine Inch Nails / Closer
94) Cheap Trick / Surrender
95) Oasis / Wonderwall
96) Beastie Boys / (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)
97) Devo /Whip It
98) Hanson / MMMBop
99) Norah Jones / Don't Know Why
100) Madonna / Ray Of Light
12 JUNE 2003